This caramel apple tart is just the perfect dessert during the holiday season. This recipe is a crowd pleaser and will become a family classic – check it out and bake up!
- 2 cups plus 2-4 tablespoons of gluten free flour (with xanthan gum)
- 9 tablespoons of salted butter – frozen
- 1 egg
- 8-12 tablespoons of ice water
- 5-6 apples (I used 3 different types)
- 1 tablespoon of GF flour (I used tapioca)
- 1/4 cup of sugar (I used coconut sugar)
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg and all spice
- 2 tablespoons of vanilla, lemon juice, and butter
- 1 cup of sugar
- 6 tablespoons of salted butter
- 1/2 cup of whipping cream (heavy – 35% or higher)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
First, make your crust. In a bowl sift in the flour. Then, grate in the frozen butter and mix with a pasty cutter or your hands. Add in the egg and the ice water 1 tablespoon at a time. Mix until it’s a little crumbly. Get some plastic wrap and divide the dough into two. Then, place the dough between two sheets of plastic wrap. Roll out the size of an 8 inch tart pan. Place in the pan and bake at 415 for 18 minutes. Then let it cool completely.
Time for the filling. Peel and slice all of the apples, about 1/4 of an inch, then mix with all ingredients for the filling except the butter.
Fill the cooled tart with the apples the top with bits of butter – bake for about 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
While the tart is cooking, get your ingredients ready to make the caramel. It’s a tough one to master, and you need to go slow. Certainly don’t rush it. In a skillet heat the sugar and keep whisking it around to keep it from burning. It’ll take some patience, yet stick with it. Licking the whisk will be worth it! Once the sugar is fully melted add in the butter. It’ll bubble, keep the heat on low and wait for the butter to fully melt. Next, slowly add the cream and boil for about 1 minute. Add in the salt and stir.
Once the tart is done, set it on a platter and top with the caramel.
Done! Let it cool for about 2 hours and then serve up.
We enjoy this winter treat cold, yet you can eat it at room temperature, too.
There you have it – a deliciously tasty salted caramel apple tart. Enjoy!
Caramel Apple Tart
- 2 cups plus 2-4 tablespoons of GF flour
- 9 tablespoons salted butter - frozen
- 1 egg
- 8-12 tablespoons ice water
- 5-6 apples
- 1 tablespoon GF flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and all spice
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 cup whipping cream heavy - 35%+
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Sift in the flour. Grate in frozen butter and mix with a pasty cutter.
- Add in the egg and ice water 1 tablespoon at a time. Mix until crumbly.
- Divide dough into two. Then, place dough between two sheets of plastic wrap. Roll out the size of an 8 inch pan.
- Place in pan and bake at 415 for 18 minutes. Cool completely.
- Peel and slice apples, about 1/4 of an inch. Then mix with ingredients for the filling except the butter.
- Fill cooled tart with filling and top with bits of butter - bake for 35 minutes at 350.
- In a skillet heat sugar and keep whisking around to keep it from burning.
- Once sugar is fully melted add in butter. It'll bubble, keep on low and wait for butter to fully melt.
- Next, slowly add cream and boil for 1 minute. Add in salt and stir.
- Once tart is done, set it on a platter and top with caramel.